Monday, May 25, 2009

Mongolian Election

The Mongolian presidential election was yesterday. Gerlee went to her home town (about 45 minutes from UB) to vote. This is a picture of her and her sister with their voter registration cards after they finished. They also got a dot of ink on their fingers. It's very interesting to be able to spot who voted by the little dot. Most of my students had dots on their fingers today.

The official results won't be in until tomorrow, but it appears that Elbegdorj Tsahia, the Democratic Party candidate, has beaten Nambaryn Enkhbayar, the incumbent and candidate for the People's Revolutionary Party (basically communists).

Elberdorj had been running an ad campaign all over the city around the phrase "oorchilokh oo?". Literally this means "Change?", but I suppose it might also mean "Do you want change?" or "Do you change?". In either case it's highly reminiscent of the Obama campaign.

While Gerlee was in her home town she visited her grandparents. Her grandpa was very nice, and only slightly drunk. I asked him to tell me about all his medals, and his wife's medals. They had about 30 of them displayed on top of a dresser, all from the communist era. He told me all about the medals with obvious pride (in case you're wondering, he was planning on voting for Enkhbayar).

Gerlee also got to see her cousin, who she doesn't get to see very often. Apparently he had a growth spurt while she was gone (all of 45 minutes and $1.00 in bus fare away, but I guess she's busy). He's taller than she is now, at least when she takes off her high heels. This is a picture of them in her grandparent's living room.


The trees are all leafed out and the flowers are blooming. It makes me wonder why on earth I planned a trip to this country in which I leave just as summer gets fully underway. I must be insane.

Sorry about the foggy pictures, the lens cover on the camera (the one that closes automatically when you turn the camera off) is broken and I can't keep it clean. Any advice?

No comments: