Sunday, December 7, 2008

Skin off an elk's butt (8/10)

I have lost my nice elk skin gloves. During this sad time I would like to thank whoever gave the gloves to the person I stole them from. I would thank the person I stole them from, but that's just awkward.

I would also like to thank the (presumably) dead elk who donated the skin from his (or her) cold, lifeless behind to keep my hands warm.

However, one should not dwell on the loss of gloves. I have just returned from a short expedition to buy more gloves. On this expedition I discovered an interesting fact: Mongolians' love for hip-hop and rap extends to their fashion tastes.

Good for them.


Unfortunately, they have missed an important fact which I have shown on the map above. The range of the wild rapper (Aduro falsus) does not extend north of 40 degrees (except in France, and they're just weird). In fact, it is usually restricted to even lower latitudes, though warm currents in the western Atlantic permit it to live as far north as New York.
Put more simply:

Really though, I don't care. Mongolians can listen to whatever music they like. The only part that bugs me is that since rappers don't wear warm gloves, Mongolians don't wear warm gloves. The only gloves they have are eastern European style lady's gloves, which are about as good for insulation as saran-wrap.

Eventually I found some moderately warm gloves in the stall of an outdoor vendor. It was then that I ran into another problem: compared to the average Mongolian's hands, my hands are like dinner plates. Oh well, that which cannot be avoided must be accepted, or in this case squeezed into.

No comments: