Thursday, April 23, 2009

After seven months

I recently did something that I rarely do. In fact, it was something that I have only done three times before. I invited someone to church.
I'm going to hastily cover the shame of my inactivity by saying that I have invited many people to Bible studies, and preached a whole bunch of sermons, but I find my own excuses somewhat hollow. It all boils down to the fact that I have been somewhat shy when sharing my faith, which begs a question: what is an unshared faith? Is it really possible to believe in things as monumentous as eternal life or Christ's second coming, but then be hesitant to share them?
I don't think so.
The problem is that the arguments of atheism are by no means stupid. The best evidence for the existence and nature of God is the still small voice, which is exactly the evidence one does not have in times of doubt.
Recently, I was listening to a psychologist who said "People would rather change the world to fit their minds than change their minds to fit the world".... or something like that. I suppose it shouldn't be a quote. But what happens when the conflict is internal? I am a science major with somewhat left leaning political views, and my basic world view reflects this to a great degree. On the other hand I am a conservative Christian with a literal interpretation of the Bible (at least those parts of it that are not obviously poetic and figurative).
These two views have formed firmly established circuits. I switch between them like many people switch from mood to mood. Often I will think in one frame of mind, and suddenly realize that I am conflicting with my basic beliefs in the other (that statement goes both ways). So, when I am having a Bible study and someone calls the Bible outdated and backwards, then holds science as a shining example of modernity, I cannot give them my answer. I do not believe the Bible is backwards (though some things were meant for the people of the time, and are therefore outdated now), and I do not believe science is a shining example of virtue (last time we tried that eugenics happened). Still, the conflict remains.

And it doesn't help that most creationist scientists act as an arm of the Republican party, being neither carefully scientific nor purely religious.

-sigh-

What's a conservative Christian liberal to do?

I'll tell you if the person shows up to church. I think she probably will.

1 comment:

juli said...

Press on, conservative Christian liberal! You're not alone! Almost, but not alone!