Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Monks in the Snow

Ulaanbaatar traffic isn't particularly thick, it's just particularly accident prone. Basically, this city is what happens when you give a bunch of middle aged people keys for the first time, stick them in SUV's, and tell them it's a race. The vast majority of the cars on the road have nasty scrapes and dents on them. The rest are brand new, but that condition won't last for very long.

Today it snowed. I don't know if it was because of the snow (seems unlikely) or some other reason, but the traffic ground to a halt in the intersection near the school. Usually crossing the street is difficult, today it was easy. You just had to walk around the cars when the weren't moving, which was most of the time.

I had to go to the store again today, as I do practically every day. It appears to me that Mongolians value appearances highly. Not necessarily the appearance of the city in general, but definitely their part of it. The stores put a good deal of effort into looking western, though they sometimes have to put on a bit of a show. For the last week I've been keeping my eyes pealed for deodorant in anticipation of the day when I will run out. A few days ago I found some. There were all the normal American brands, carefully lined up in a locked display case. This would not have been a problem if it wasn't for the fact that Mongolians have taken to using the supermarket style of store. There was no one around to unlock the display case. There the deodorant sits, and there it shall stay, loudly declaring the the store is as western as it can possibly be under the circumstances.

I found one other shop that has it though. I shall prevail!



Because the snow and fog looked so nice I headed out and took more pictures of the Gandan monastery, and the city in general. I was taking a picture of these pigeons when some monks started walking up the steps. I just waited a few seconds until they were in the frame, I think monks look really cool.


This particular monk was talking on his cellphone as he got into his car. I guess the higher level monks are in more of a management position, so they can't give up the things of this world. Things to do! Places to go to! Yessir, these are modern times and they call for modern monks.

and video:

1 comment:

Doogii said...

My country so beautiful.