Friday, October 17, 2008

Underhanded sales pitch (9/10)

I stared intently at the shrewd negotiator before me. He had caught me as I tried to make my way through the monastery complex, and now I was trapped in his web.

"Would you like to buy some grain, elder brother?" the small boy asked in Mongolian, offering me a packet of crushed grain to feed the pigeons.

Drat, he was polite on top of it all. I had promised myself that I would never give in to the empty sales pitch of 'want to buy some grain?'.

"No." I replied (also in Mongolian), shaking my head.

"Buy grain?" he asked, smiling.

"No"

"Buy grain?"
The tone was almost sing-song now.
The little beast was mocking me.

"No." I said.

"Buy grain?"

"No" I said, as I my hand reached unbidden for my wallet. Blast the fiend for his cherubic smile!

"Buy grain?" he asked, triumphantly.

"No." I said with an air of finality, as I handed him a 500T bill (about 50c)

"Thank you!" he said, as he scurried off. I had kept my promise to myself, and bought no grain.

-------------------------------------------------

Please consider donating to the advertising fund of the school. We need to reach a wider audience with the gospel. Right now most of the students are Korean expats and friends of school staff.







No comments: