Friday, February 6, 2009

Warm.

The U.S. was cold a little while ago. As I read the unsolicited headlines (minor American news is crammed down the throats of the entire world) I could hear the chorus of voices saying "GLOBAL WARMING IS A HOAX!".
I have heard this argument before. It goes something like this. "Global warming is complete garbage, because last winter it got down to (enter low temperature here) where I live in (enter location here). If you think about it though, this makes exactly as much sense as saying "Inflation is a hoax because my local Walmart has cut it's already amazingly low prices". Global warming is, as the name implies, "global" in nature, and consists of "warming": a gradual trend of less cold. So, what I'm about to say makes absolutely no sense, but I'm going to say it anyway.
Global warming is not a hoax, because I just walked to the store in a t-shirt, in Mongolia, in the middle of February. Granted, the store is only a five minute walk from here, everyone stared at me as I passed, and the person who went with me didn't want people to think we knew each other, but I did it. Usually, anyone taking a five minute walk outside (in February, in Mongolia, in a t-shirt) would be cold, perhaps very cold. They might even be risking serious harm. Today, the snow was melting and forming puddles on the dusty ground.

It was just odd, that's all.

No comments: