Monday, November 10, 2008

Leaning into the wind (5/10)

I just witnessed the force of nature known as "angry parent". The anger was directed squarely at me, along with a constantly pointed finger, but I say 'witnessed' because it passed through the comforting filter of Itgil, the secretary and trilingual translator.
After teaching for a term and a half, I had come to the conclusion that one of the students needed to move down one class. The others had more experience with English than he did, and I was making the grammar / vocabulary worksheets to meet their skill level. This one student copied off of other people on his good days, and on his bad days he just sat at his desk swearing at me in Korean.
It's an understandable reaction, honestly. He never had a chance to get up to that skill level. Because of this I decided to move him down one level.
Today when he came to class I asked him to go to the classroom next door, saying that I was trying to split him and his sister up since they always talked. This was entirely true, though I admit I said it because it was the least insulting of my reasons for switching him. He contemplated this, saw through my BS, and asked me why I was sending him down a level. I tried to explain that he simply couldn't understand the work... but obviously he couldn't understand the explanation either. He called his mom, and she came running over to the school.

One small thing: I would like to point out that before I did this I consulted the teacher of the other class and officially switched the student's registration from one class to another in the system. The classes meet at the same time, and they're the same age groups, so it's not like this was a spur of the moment decision with massive consequences.

But like I said. The mother came running over. She was... a fiery woman. I felt sorry for poor Itgil. She got so flustered that she kept on forgetting to switch languages. She would speak to me in Korean, the woman in English, and Mongolian to both of us. I don't think that the woman ever understood my reasons for switching the student, but she understood that her child was causing problems in class (a thing that I view as a secondary problem, not a primary one). She told him to apologize to me, and I tried to tell her that he didn't need to. Not sure how much of it got through, but she apologized to Itgil and said he would go to the other class as I had suggested, so whatever.

-sigh- It's so odd when someone is pointing their finger at you while yelling in Korean at someone else. It made me feel sub-human and all grown up at the same time. I have come far enough to be ignored. I am part of the system. Yay! Party!

For this week I will match any donations made with money from my salary. This advertising fund is important. Two more people (non-church members) will be coming to my Bible class this week, pushing the total up to 10. Total enrollment is about 40 this term. Imagine how many would be there if we had a total enrollment of 500, as the school is supposed to.

-edit- the goal amount has been reached (and passed). Thanks for donating!








1 comment:

Dee said...

I'm proud of you for handling that mother so well. I hate confruntation and it would have really rattled me badly. I'm proud of you.