Friday, November 14, 2008

Then, inexplicably, it failed to fail (9/10)

For the past two days non-church members have been coming to the Bible study I teach. I wasn't really sure what to do with them, to be honest. I'm just starting to get the hang of teaching people who already believe, and so it's very difficult to lead a class that is mostly Buddhist and atheist.
When the class was entirely church members the structure was simple. We would read Bible stories from a series aimed at adolescents, because the English was simple. We would then read the same story out of the Bible, pausing every few verses to discuss it. Lastly, we would try to figure out lessons and concepts by comparing the story to other stories / verses.
When the class is made up of non-church members with basic English the structure is, regretably, even more simple. We spend the entire hour reading the three page children's story, looking up terms and filling in background information. This doesn't take any preparation on my part, but it's not very conducive to deep spiritual conversation.
During the first class I was nervous, and slightly depressed. I had never thought about what I would do when people started coming to class. I guess I had always assumed that the hard part was getting them there, and that once they were there a light would shine, a voice would speak from heaven, and they'd instantly start discussing the finer points of eschatology.
I sent up a frightened prayer and tried to listen for the still small voice. I definitely felt comfort, but I'm not sure about the whole voice bit.
The story was about the miracles that God performed though Elisha. I started by asking them if they'd had any miraculous experiences. There was a unanimous response of "no", so the church member who was there and I each shared a recent experience. I then asked them if there were any stories like this in Mongolian history. I got a no on that too, though one person told me about miracles in Buddhism. There was a little more discussion, but I left class very discouraged. How do you share God with beginner students? More importantly, how do you share God with students who have no interest?
After the Bible class I had another class. At the beginning of class I told the students that I would be available for free conversation after class, since the following day was Friday and I didn't need to prepare for anything the next day. Three students said they would like to do conversation after class, and one said he would come the next day at 2:00.
The conversation was fun. We talked about hobbies, goals, and other such things. It was somewhat difficult to keep everyone involved, since I was the only native English speaker and there were three students to converse with. At 8:45 we ran out of things to talk about, and I so I called it a night. I was wondering what on earth I could say in the next Bible class that would be meaningful in some way.
The next day the remaining student came for conversation promptly at 2:00. He's an air traffic controller, so we spent some time talking about his job. He told me about the work he does, and told me that 200 planes go through Mongolian airspace every day (didn't know that). I told him about the experiences my family had with MIAT (Mongolian Airways) during it's early days, and he said that it has improved greatly since then.

He then told me he was going to come to church the next day.

Due to the fact that classes are rather boring, I have developed a semi-professional mask. Most people see me with the "mask" on, and have gotten used to it. Itgil (the front desk worker) even asks me what's wrong when I don't have my happy mask on. When the student said he was going to check out our church service, and that the other members of the Bible class were coming too, the mask cracked. I was surprised, and slightly confused.

How had I failed to fail?

I then realized something. I cannot save someone. I cannot even convince someone. There is no silver bullet; no magical theological factoid that I need to discover. Being a missionary simply means getting in God's way as little as possible: clearing out all the noise and static, letting go of the insecurity, and following the Master.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And here I was planning on making a witty comment about the crazy words used for verification that I am, in fact, a person!

And ya know what the word is? Versed.
Now that's just not even funny. A conspiracy of fate and the machine spirit to thwart my comical attempts.

How droll.

What I wanted to comment about was the sheer and simple fact that your post has indeed helped someone.

I read it to Julie Hickey as it related to an issues she has been having and it helped! Besides that your somewhat comical style of writing at times got a rise out of her.

Kudos, Chris and continue the good work.

-Brandon