Monday, November 24, 2008

Sunny with a high of 10 (4/10)

This week is going to be something approaching winter. On Wednesday the high will be around 10 (F), and the low will be in the negative single digits. This isn't "cold" but it is beginning to approach a temperature that one might call "winter".

So there's nothing going on.

I'm sorry, I really am. I have all these people who follow my blog, some of whom have actually clicked the "follow this blog" link and shown up on my blogger dashboard as followers, but there's really not much happening.

There are a few things though.

On Saturday night we had a party. "We" did not include Brandon, since he was out with a stomach ailment. A bunch of church members showed up, including some people from the central church. I made pizza (which turned out quite well) and we had loads of clementines and soda. We played cards and ping pong, though the pizza making seemed to consume a lot of attention.

The following morning I heard voices upstairs, so I went to check it out. I found two church members (girls / women) eating in the school kitchen. I asked them what they were doing, and they replied that they were eating breakfast.

I was slightly confused.

It suddenly dawned on me that the front door was locked, so I asked them how they had gotten in. "Oh, we never left last night" they said. "We just slept in the church. Could you unlock the door and let us out?"

On the whole the party was nice, but I don't think I'll do it again soon. I think the whole thing cost me about $30 or $40. Not bad for feeding a dozen people, but wearisome on a volunteer salary when I'm supposed to be saving for school.

So, because there isn't much going on I am thinking. Why did God create us with needs?
Being a 20-something male surrounded by exotic girls, I find myself craving a relationship full of trust, passionate kissing and good conversation.

No, seriously.

I am, however, rather confused. My life to this point has taught me that girls don't like to feel that someone "needs" them. I find this somewhat odd. Personally, I like the idea of feeling needed. The thought that someone would be sad if I was gone implies that they find joy in my presence, and that thought makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Granted, I have only been in two relationships, but in both of them I was told something to the effect of "If you're sad when I'm gone you're being too obsessive". Am I just attracted to girls that dislike obsession? I'm finding that I have a knee jerk reaction of telling girls that I dislike a bunch of things about them as soon as I feel some attraction, just so they don't think I'm obsessing.

I hate knee jerk reactions. I always end up regretting them.

God created us so that something outside himself would love him. He created us to need each other so that we would be able to understand how he feels towards us.

It is not good for man to be alone. To that man says AMEN!

I think about things too much. I'm going to end up sooooo screwed up.

________________________________________________________
Being a missionary means getting in God's way as little as possible.

1 comment:

Lici said...

Hmmm. I will leave my "girl's point of view," but take it with a grain of salt: I've had no serious relationships to use as examples; I can only speak from what I've seen with close friends and my two brothers.

Feeling needed is, indeed, a good feeling. And I think for guys it's even more so--they are the problem-solvers and the protectors, and doing things is one very concrete way they show their appreciation for the other person.

If we truly love someone, doing something for that person is a privilege, not a burden (and we're supposed to love even our enemies). But anyway, to expect our significant other to do everything for us, to spend 24/7 with them, to feel like we have no life if they're not around, etc.... that is a bit sick. And I've known people like that, who seem glued to their bf/gf and have little of an identity when they're on their own.

It does depend a lot on the individual, but I'd say either extreme is dangerous. It's not good to expect complete independence from the other person. After all, you are (or should be) learning to make decisions together. But one's identity should not disappear in the other's.

'kay, that's all, folks!