Sunday, September 28, 2008

A series of unrelated thoughts

Twenty-five cents, that's how long I'll be on this computer. I know it's odd to measure time by money, but that's the way it works at an internet cafe.

I take back what I said about America chasing me here. There's still plenty of the wild, messy, chaotic Mongolia, I just wasn't looking looking in the right places. Today (Sunday) I went to several markets to stock up on food. I got bread, milk, mayo, cheese, cabbage, hot peppers etc. I got some of the local staples (for vegetarians) on Friday: potatoes, onions, carrots and a 20 pound sack of flour are under the kitchen sink. I even have a batch of gluten made! :)

....I just had to pay more, I guess I couldn't do everything I had to do in half an hour. Oh well.

Anyway, picking up where I left off, prices for local things (like potatoes and cabbage) aren't bad. Potatoes, for instance, are 30 cents per pound. Prices for imported things, like German corn flakes and Russian cheese, are jaw dropping.

Last night the teacher who's on his way out threw a party of sorts and invited the students and church members. They stayed up all night eating and watching movies (Forest Gump is good, dang). The point of all this was to make him tired enough so that he could sleep on the plane.
I went to bed around 2 a.m. When I woke up and left the building around 10 there they all were, packed in a van. His flight had been cancelled, so now he needed to crash and sleep all day. He also needed my keys.

I surrendered the keys.

Tomorrow I will teach all of my classes. These will be my first classes, but it isn't really a big deal. The classes are really small, so it's more of a group atmosphere than a 'get up there and be a talkbox' atmosphere like the Korean school. I think I'll wear my suit just to keep it a little more formal.
The main problem here is the lack of students. Please pray for the school, and for me, so that I will be a good enough teacher to encourage enrollment through word of mouth. Also, pray that I'll be able to witness tactfully, as direct evangelism is against the school's charter.

Stories will be coming soon, I just need to settle in enough to write more than a series of unrelated factoids. Brandon (the other teacher) and I are headed out to Terelje (a national park about an hour from the city) next weekend. I'll take the camera and post pictures.

-by the way, a guy tried to pickpocket me today. I need to look less like a tourist.

No comments: