Saturday, September 20, 2008

-wilt-

My pants are covered in kimchee. The notebook on which I write these blog posts is covered in kimchee. The only really surprising thing is that all this kimchee managed to cover my pants and notebook without any involvement from my unsteady chopsticks. I'm covered in kimchee simply because Korean food has a strong, innate urge to fly off of my plate and onto my clothing... or the floor... or my notebook. The only thing that really bugs me is the notebook.

I think God is making a point of humiliating me. I hope He knows what He's doing. I have never had a performance up front go worse than the one I just had. Seriously.
I was asked to play a song for special music. I have a policy of saying yes whether I feel like it or not, at least until there are a few things I regularly say yes to.

Oy.

I picked a song (As The Deer) and practiced it until I felt quite comfortable. Unfortunately I had to use an unfamiliar guitar during the church service. It's an odd guitar. Though it's an electric it has an open frame body, so that it's basically a board with strings on it, and detachable metal sides that form the outline of a body. The result is that it weighs about as much as a chickadee.
The strings felt like telephone poles, and didn't respond to my pick. My voice trembled, and though at first the mic was off fate was not in my favor, because someone turned it on.
I need a tail, so that I can tuck it between my legs.
The final blow came when I handed the guitar back. "I take it back" I said, referring to my statement that I thought the guitar was totally awesome. "No, no! You did fine!" he said.
Did I ask? You know things went poorly when everyone goes out of their way to say you did fine.
Anyway. I'm going to go change my pants and drag my emotionally exhausted self back into this building for Sabbath afternoon clubs. My friend from before (and the girl who I take to be his girlfriend, i.e. the girl from Connecticut) asked me to come, since I won't be here next weekend.

No comments: